I am not saying we don’t bite. Sometimes we need to resort to the well applied bite to get our point across. Like “leave my feet alone!” “if you don’t stop ruffling my tummy fur….”. However, we can take it too far.
Did you know that we kitties, and woofies too, have something called Pasteurella in our mouths. It is a bacteria that can cause minor infections or major if left untreated. The Mother found this out the hard way.
This is the Mother
Our neighbor cat, Avery, who is a stinker, came into our house and tried to fight with us. The Mother, not using her brain, grabbed him, when he was hissing and spitting. He got even madder and bit her really hard on the hand. REALLY hard. He went through her skin and into the muscles underneath.
The Mother cleaned and washed the bites. She thought that would be enough. But then it started to swell around the bite and hurt. The night this happened she went the the emergency room. They gave her antiobiotics and sent her home.
By the next night, her hand was swollen up. The Mother says it looked like a baseball mitt. It was bright red and the swelling was spreading up her fingers and down her wrist. Plus, it was ooozing yucky stuff out of the bite.
She went back to the hospital and she ended up spending 3 days there!!!! The doctors put her on heavy-duty antiobiotics and wrapped up her arm so the swelling wouldn’t spread. Fortunately, the infection responded fast which was lucky. The doctors told our Mother that infections like that in the hand can be very, very dangerous. It could have resulted in multiple surgeries to clean out the infection and reduced usabilty with her hand. That scared the Mother.
We kitties would have missed her more but the Grandpa came and took the DOG away sooo…we had a bit of a partay while the DOG was gone. The DOG spent those days being spoiled by the Grandparents. UGH!
The lesson’s learned: